Over the past few years, we’ve seen cloud adoption grow steadily and surely. In the months to come, however – with business leaders increasingly focused on digital transformation and IT innovation – we expect cloud use to skyrocket.
Here are a few ways to move more quickly – and successfully – on your cloud journey:
- Assess and plan: Simplify the cloud journey by assessing your business goals and their alignment with your current IT ecosystem. Create a blueprint that outlines application suitability and migration viability to transition the workloads to a secure target environment.
- Develop an operating model: As agility becomes a top priority, establishing clear visibility into your IT architecture, data, controls and technology will be paramount. To keep outages to a minimum even when scalability is required, create a next-gen operating model that encapsulates an integrated view of services, applications, tools, containers and micro-services. Training is also important to ensure the IT team understands the impact of various IT systems and operations on the business.
- Establish a governance model: Many preliminary forays into the cloud have been spearheaded by isolated business functions, with individual groups allocating a portion of their own budget to resolve a specific challenge. The result: multiple pockets of cloud solutions and services across the enterprise. As enterprises move past the initial cloud adoption phase, however, better governance must be established across multiple cloud solutions. The governance approach needs to be holistic — encompassing both cloud and legacy solutions/services — and aligned with business objectives. It’s a good idea to invest in enterprise architects to develop the business-led IT strategy.
- Follow a change management program: Just as cloud business cases need to be aligned with business objectives, change activities need to be aligned with the DevOps lifecycle. The more that IT understands the business challenges and aligns with the developer and user communities , the better it can transform into a business enabler and revenue generator.
- Strengthen compliance and security: Compliance can be increased by deploying technologies such as encryption and tokenisation, which secures data that’s both transferred and stored in the cloud. Because shadow IT still poses a major security issue, it’s paramount to involve the security team in the cloud decision-making process.
Cloud adoption and digital transformation go hand-in-hand. The more mature your cloud program, the greater the rewards of your digital endeavors.
Get your Fast Pass to the Cloud @ AWS re:Invent 2016 – Las Vegas
To find out more about cloud adoption and accelerating your digital business, visit us in Las Vegas at AWS re:Invent 2016 on November 28 – December 2.
Stop by our Cognizant booth located at #2025. We’d love to share how Cognizant and AWS can help with your digital transformation by:
- Simplifying your IT workloads across the entire value chain through data center transformation. Create a workspace of the future by equipping your business with an always-ready agile infrastructure with Cognizant Cloud Steps.
- Optimizing your application platform via DevOps, agile environments and application migration in order to take advantage of the power of cloud.